Do you love the taste of cherries? Do you enjoy candies that have a sweet and sour flavor? If so, you might want to try cherry sours. These are small, round, chewy candies that have a bright red color and a tangy cherry flavor. They are a popular candy that many people love to snack on or use for baking and decorating. In this blog post, we will explore what cherry sours are, how they are made, what are their ingredients, and how to eat them.
What are Cherry Sours?
Cherry sours are a type of candy that belong to the category of sour candies. Sour candies are candies that have a sour or acidic taste that stimulates the salivary glands and makes the mouth water. Sour candies can be hard, soft, chewy, gummy, or fizzy, and they can come in various shapes, colors, and flavors.
Cherry sours are one of the most common and popular sour candies. They are small, round, chewy candies that have a bright red color and a tangy cherry flavor. They have a smooth and shiny surface that is coated with sugar crystals. They have a soft and moist texture that melts in the mouth.
Cherry sours are also known by other names, such as cherry balls, cherry drops, or cherry bites. They are sometimes confused with other similar candies, such as cherry cordials or chocolate-covered cherries. However, cherry sours are different from these candies because they do not have any filling or coating other than sugar.
How are Cherry Sours Made?
Cherry sours are made by using a process called panning. Panning is a method of making candy that involves coating a center with layers of sugar syrup and other ingredients in a rotating drum or pan. Panning is used to make various types of candy, such as jelly beans, M&M’s, Skittles, and gumballs.
The process of making cherry sours involves the following steps:
- Step 1: The center of the candy is made by mixing corn syrup, sugar, water, gelatin, citric acid, natural and artificial flavors, and red food coloring in a large kettle. The mixture is heated until it reaches a high temperature and becomes thick and sticky.
- Step 2: The center of the candy is extruded through a machine that cuts it into small pieces. The pieces are then shaped into round balls by rolling them between metal plates.
- Step 3: The balls are transferred to a rotating drum or pan that is filled with sugar crystals. The balls are coated with the sugar crystals by tumbling them in the drum or pan. The sugar crystals act as an abrasive agent that smooths and polishes the surface of the balls.
- Step 4: The balls are dried in an oven or a dryer to remove any excess moisture and harden the sugar coating. The balls are then cooled and packaged for distribution.
What are the Ingredients of Cherry Sours?
Cherry sours have several ingredients that give them their distinctive flavor and appearance. Some of these ingredients are:
- Corn syrup: This is a sweetener that is made from corn starch. It adds sweetness and moisture to the candy.
- Sugar: This is another sweetener that is made from sugarcane or sugar beets. It adds sweetness and crunchiness to the candy.
- Water: This is a liquid that is used to dissolve and mix the other ingredients.
- Gelatin: This is a protein that is derived from animal collagen. It adds chewiness and elasticity to the candy.
- Citric acid: This is an organic acid that is found in citrus fruits. It adds sourness and acidity to the candy.
- Natural and artificial flavors: These are substances that provide the cherry flavor to the candy. Natural flavors are extracted from natural sources, such as fruits or plants. Artificial flavors are synthesized from chemical compounds.
- Red food coloring: This is a dye that gives the candy its red color. It can be derived from natural or synthetic sources.
How to Eat Cherry Sours?
Eating cherry sours is very easy and fun. Here are some ways that you can enjoy them:
- Eat them as they are: You can simply pop them in your mouth and enjoy their sweet and sour taste. You can eat them one by one or by the handful.
- Mix them with other candies: You can mix them with other candies, such as chocolate chips, nuts, marshmallows, or gummy bears. You can create your own trail mix or snack mix with different flavors and textures.
- Use them for baking and decorating: You can use them for baking and decorating cakes, cupcakes, cookies, brownies, or pies. You can chop them, crush them, or melt them and use them as a filling, topping, or frosting. You can also use them to make patterns, shapes, or letters on your baked goods.
- Make them into a drink: You can make them into a drink by dissolving them in water, soda, juice, or milk. You can also blend them with ice, yogurt, or fruit to make a smoothie or a slushie.
Cherry sours are a delicious and fun candy that have a sweet and sour flavor and a chewy texture. They are made by coating a corn syrup and gelatin center with sugar crystals in a rotating drum or pan. They have various ingredients that give them their flavor and color, such as citric acid, natural and artificial flavors, and red food coloring. You can eat them as they are, mix them with other candies, use them for baking and decorating, or make them into a drink. Try cherry sours today and enjoy a treat for your taste buds!
Here are some frequently asked questions about cherry sours:
- Are cherry sours vegan? No, cherry sours are not vegan. They contain gelatin, which is an animal-derived ingredient. Gelatin is made from the skin, bones, and connective tissues of animals, such as pigs, cows, or fish.
- Are cherry sours gluten-free? Yes, cherry sours are gluten-free. They do not contain any wheat, barley, rye, or oats. However, if you have celiac disease or gluten sensitivity, you should always check the label and ingredients before consuming any product.
- Are cherry sours healthy? Cherry sours are not very healthy. They are high in sugar and calories and low in nutrients. They can also cause tooth decay and cavities if consumed excessively. Therefore, you should eat them in moderation and as an occasional treat.