Lobster mac and cheese is a dish that combines two of the most popular comfort foods: lobster and macaroni and cheese. It is a decadent, luxurious, and satisfying meal that can be enjoyed at home or at a restaurant. But how do you find the best lobster mac and cheese near you? And what are some tips and tricks to make it even more delicious? In this blog post, I will answer these questions and more, so you can enjoy this ultimate fancy comfort food.
What is Lobster Mac and Cheese?
Lobster mac and cheese is a variation of the classic macaroni and cheese dish, which consists of cooked pasta mixed with a cheese sauce, usually made with cheddar cheese, butter, flour, and milk. Lobster mac and cheese adds cooked lobster meat to the mix, either as chunks or as a topping. The cheese sauce may also be enriched with other cheeses, such as gruyere, fontina, or parmesan, and flavored with spices, such as garlic, mustard, or nutmeg. The dish is usually baked in the oven until bubbly and golden on top, and sometimes sprinkled with bread crumbs for extra crunch.
Lobster mac and cheese is a relatively recent invention, as the oldest known recipe of macaroni and cheese dates back to the 13th century in Italy, while lobster was considered a poor man’s food until the 19th century in America. The first known instance of lobster mac and cheese as a codified dish appeared in 1993 in a cookbook by Jasper White, a renowned chef who specializes in New England cuisine. Since then, lobster mac and cheese has become a popular dish in many restaurants across the country, especially in coastal areas where fresh lobster is available.
How to Find Lobster Mac and Cheese Near Me?
If you are craving for lobster mac and cheese, you have two options: make it yourself at home or order it from a restaurant near you. Both options have their pros and cons, depending on your budget, time, and preference.
Making lobster mac and cheese at home can be cheaper, more customizable, and more rewarding than ordering it from a restaurant. You can choose the type and quality of the ingredients, adjust the seasoning to your taste, and enjoy the process of cooking. However, making lobster mac and cheese at home can also be more time-consuming, more challenging, and more messy than ordering it from a restaurant. You need to buy fresh or frozen lobster tails, cook them properly, remove the meat from the shells, make the cheese sauce from scratch, cook the pasta al dente, assemble the dish, bake it in the oven, and clean up afterwards.
Ordering lobster mac and cheese from a restaurant near you can be faster, easier, and more convenient than making it yourself at home. You can save time and effort by simply browsing online menus, placing your order online or by phone, picking it up or having it delivered to your door, and enjoying it right away. However, ordering lobster mac and cheese from a restaurant near you can also be more expensive, less customizable, and less satisfying than making it yourself at home. You have to pay for the service fee, tip, delivery fee, or gas money; you have to settle for the choices available on the menu; you have to trust that the restaurant uses fresh and quality ingredients; you have to hope that the dish arrives hot and fresh; and you have to deal with potential issues such as delays, mistakes, or dissatisfaction.
So how do you decide whether to make or order lobster mac and cheese near you? Here are some factors to consider:
- Your budget: If you are on a tight budget, making lobster mac and cheese at home can be more economical than ordering it from a restaurant. You can buy lobster tails when they are on sale or use frozen ones; you can use cheaper cheeses or less cheese; you can use leftover pasta or bread crumbs; you can make smaller portions or freeze leftovers for later.
- Your time: If you are short on time, ordering lobster mac and cheese from a restaurant near you can be more convenient than making it yourself at home. You can order online or by phone in minutes; you can pick it up or have it delivered in less than an hour; you can eat it right away or reheat it later.
- Your preference: If you are particular about your food preferences, ordering lobster mac and cheese from a restaurant near you can be more limiting than making it yourself at home. You may not find a restaurant that offers the dish near you; you may not like the way they prepare it; you may not be able to customize it to your liking. On the other hand, making lobster mac and cheese at home can be more satisfying than ordering it from a restaurant near you. You can choose the type and amount of lobster, cheese, pasta, and seasonings; you can make it as creamy, cheesy, or spicy as you want; you can add other ingredients such as bacon, broccoli, or mushrooms; you can make it as a main course or a side dish.
How to Make Lobster Mac and Cheese at Home?
If you decide to make lobster mac and cheese at home, here is a simple recipe that you can follow. You will need the following ingredients:
- 1 pound of elbow macaroni or cavatappi pasta
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 4 cups of whole milk
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of mustard powder (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg (optional)
- Pepper to taste
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup of shredded gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 4 to 6 lobster tails, cooked and chopped (about 2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup of bread crumbs (optional)
- Parsley for garnish (optional)
Here are the steps to make lobster mac and cheese at home:
- Preheat oven to 375°F and grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and return to the pot.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the flour and whisk until smooth and bubbly, about 3 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in the milk, stirring constantly to prevent lumps. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the salt, garlic powder, mustard powder, nutmeg, and pepper. Add the cheddar, gruyere, and parmesan cheeses and stir until melted and smooth.
- Stir in the lobster meat and taste for seasoning. Adjust if needed.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta and toss to combine. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and spread it evenly.
- Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the top if desired.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until bubbly and golden on top.
- Garnish with parsley if desired and serve hot.
How to Order Lobster Mac and Cheese from a Restaurant Near Me?
If you decide to order lobster mac and cheese from a restaurant near you, here are some tips to help you find the best place and enjoy your dish:
- Use online tools: You can use online tools such as Google Maps, Yelp, or Grubhub to search for restaurants that offer lobster mac and cheese near you. You can filter your search by location, distance, rating, price, delivery option, or cuisine type. You can also read reviews, see photos, check menus, and compare prices.
- Call ahead: You can call the restaurant directly to ask about their lobster mac and cheese availability, quality, portion size, price, delivery time, or special requests. You can also place your order by phone if you prefer.
- Order online: You can order online through the restaurant’s website or through a third-party app such as Uber Eats, DoorDash, or Postmates. You can pay online with your credit card or other methods such as PayPal or Apple Pay. You can also track your order status and delivery time online.
- Pick up or delivery: You can choose to pick up your order from the restaurant yourself or have it delivered to your door by a driver. You may have to pay extra for delivery fee or tip. You may also have to wait longer for delivery than for pick up.
- Reheat if needed: If your order arrives cold or lukewarm, you may want to reheat it in the oven or microwave before eating. To reheat in the oven, preheat it to 350°F and bake the dish in an oven-safe container for 10 to 15 minutes or until hot. To reheat in the microwave, transfer the dish to a microwave-safe container and heat it on high for 2 to 3 minutes or until hot.
Lobster mac and cheese is a delicious dish that combines lobster and macaroni and cheese in a creamy and cheesy sauce. It is a relatively recent invention that has become popular in many restaurants across the country. You can make it yourself at home or order it from a restaurant near you depending on your budget, time, and preference. Either way, you can enjoy this ultimate fancy comfort food with some tips and tricks.